Follow each step below to learn about Putin’s personality and politics and examine how the changes he has implemented have affected the Russian people. In a Google Doc, answer the questions listed under each link. Save your file in your Global folder on Google.
First, get a snapshot of Putin’s lie by reviewing a timeline of Vladimir Putin’s life.
- When and where was Putin born?
- What did Putin say he wanted for Russia in his inauguration speech?
- What are some of Putin’s favorite sports/hobbies?
- In 2011 and 2012, demonstrators hit the streets to protest against Putin. What were their claims?
Next, learn about the controversy when Putin ran for re-election for his third (non-consecutive) presidential term.
- In what way do Putin supporters say he has helped Russia in his last president term?
- Why are his critics concerned about Putin serving 12 more years as Russia’s president?
- According to the article, why is important to Russia’s economy that Putin maintain good relations with the U.S.?
Now, read what former Russian leader Mikhail Gorbachev said about Putin’s leadership in the article, “An Ailing Gorbachev Makes a Fierce Attack on Putin and His Restrictions“
- Throughout the article, Gorbachev mentions several criticisms of Putin’s politics. List at least 4.
- How did Putin’s advisers and other members of the Russian government respond to Gorbachev’s criticisms?
Finally, read Putin’s New Year’s Eve Speech of 2013.
- What does Putin say Russia achieved in 2013?
- What can you learn about how Putin feels about Russia from this speech?