Helena High Career Counselor, Mrs. Kelly Strietzel, is a member of Helena WINS and Helena Summer Jobs Program. Helena WINS, an initiative of Helena Area Chamber of Commerce, is partnering with American Jobs for American Youth (AJAY-MT), a nonprofit dedicated to developing life and work skills in youth, to facilitate Helena Summer Jobs Program (HSJP) again this summer. This program focuses on providing high-quality work or internship experiences to area high school students (16-19 year olds, given priority) by partnering with Helena area businesses and organizations. This experience would not only benefit the students but also benefits Helena by helping to build a good workforce and molding students into good employees.
Application are now open for HSJP 2020! Mrs. Strietzel can assist our students and encourage them to apply.
There are some amazing opportunities again this year. HSJP builds students’ work skills, helps students explore career options, and develops the next generation of employees in Helena. The high school students participating in the program are matched with a summer job, complete four hours of work skills training prior to the summer, and meet with a mentor throughout the summer.
Some areas we are looking to fill or have possible positions available include the following:
- Marketing/public relations (at multiple locations)
- Tire/auto repair
- Camp counselors at YMCA & Kays Kids (City of Helena)
- Bank staff (over 18 y/o)
- Hotel staff (front desk, housekeeping)
- Shodair internships in government relations, public relations, the foundation, genetics lab, kids residential home, etc.
- IT (hopefully – not confirmed)
- Hospitality and health care at Touchmark – CNA/PCA work (assisting residents with activities of daily living), Nursing, Restaurant-Style Dining, Kitchen, Front Desk/Hospitality, Maintenance, Management, Administration
- Direct support staff at West Mont (over 18 y/o)
- Front desk at Fuel Fitness & Helena Chamber of Commerce (greeting customers, helping with admin and events)
- Construction with Dick Anderson
- HSJP placements run from June-August 2020. During this timeframe, HSJP requires students to prioritize their HSJP work experience for at least six weeks.
- Students will average at least 25 hours/week for a minimum of 150 hours.
- Students will be paid a minimum rate of $9.00 per hour.
- Students will meet with a mentor weekly
- HSJP cannot guarantee internship or job placement, due to applicant availability or qualifications.
Applying youth must:
- Have a current photo ID and a Social Security number.
- Complete an online application, complete an HSJP interview and attend the pre-placement training workshop.
- Be 16-19 years old (for priority placement).
- Successfully pass a drug screening and background check, if required by their host employer.
- Have transportation to the job site.
Additional information and the application can be found by visiting, www.americanjobs4youth.org/hsjp. Or reach out to Mrs. Kelly Strietzel at 324-2225 or KStrietzel@helenaschools.org